Air New Zealand offers the service of ‘Meet and Assist’ at each airport. Please advise, at the time of booking, if this service is required. There are Air New Zealand ground staff at each arrival and departure of Air New Zealand flights.
Transit Facilities at Hub:
Both the Auckland International Koru Club Lounge and the Auckland Domestic Koru Club Longe have a Kids Play Centre, which is a separate area for children. Air New Zealand also has a Kids Play Centre in the following Koru Club Lounges … Christchurch International; Los Angeles; Melbourne and Sydney.
Infants (under 2 years of age) are permitted the same Checked Baggage allowance as adult Passengers, including infant’s car seat or collapsible stroller. They are not entitled to any additional allowances linked to the accompanying Passenger’s frequent flyer tier status.
Boarding & Disembarkation:
On all the Air New Zealand flights, families travelling with children have priority boarding. On disembarkation of the aircraft there are Air New Zealand ground staff to assist these families if required.
- Children under the age of 2, not occupying a seat and accompanied by an adult, may travel on an infant fare. A child travelling on an infant fare must be held by the accompanying adult. For safety reasons an adult can hold only one infant, and children under the age of 15 may not hold infants.
- If you are the only adult travelling with more than one infant you will need to reserve a seat for the additional infant and pay a child’s fare (available for children up to and including 11 years of age). The additional infant must be restrained in an approved infant car seat, which you must provide.
- Children under 5 years may not travel alone and must be escorted by a companion aged 15 years or older. For trans-Tasman and domestic New Zealand flights, an Unaccompanied Minor aged 5-11 years maybe booked online on any available adult fare.
Please Note: an Unaccompanied Minor Form for presenting at each check-in must also be completed. For long-haul international flights, Unaccompanied Minors may not be booked online. You must contact Air New Zealand to make a reservation.
Please Note: Unaccompanied Minor fares for international travel will vary according to the rules of the fare booked. A young person aged 12 years and above may be classified as an Unaccompanied Minor at the request of the parent or guardian.
- On Star Alliance and Escapade fares if an infant turns two years of age at any point of the journey a child’s fare must be issued for the entire journey. For other fares check child paragraph if you are unsure but generally an infant’s ticket is acceptable.
Please Note: An Unaccompanied Minor will be escorted by airline staff from check-in to their seat on the aircraft. If travelling on an international flight, the child will be escorted and assisted through the departure formalities of passport control, and security screening to the departure gate. At the departure gate the Unaccompanied Minor is escorted onto the aircraft, introduced to the cabin crew who then assist the child to their seat.
Air New Zealand is the first in aviation history to have an International Airline Concierge on long haul flights. These IAC’s are destinational experts and are there to ensure that each passenger travelling in each class receives outstanding customer service. These IAC’s are also available to assist with heating bottles and baby food when the cabin crew are committed to other in-flight duties.
Only fold-up strollers are allowed on board (due to storage limitations). Only fold-up strollers are allowed to the door of the aircraft. If you have a larger stroller/pram, Air New Zealand will supply a “loan stroller” to assist you in getting to the door of the aircraft for your departure.
Children and Infant meals are no longer available on Tasman or pacific services (except for services to and from Perth, Noumea and Papeete). Please note that meals are not available on Air New Zealand Domestic New Zealand services. Our cabin-crew are happy to prepare, heat and wash bottles whenever needed.
On our long-haul flights (including Perth, Noumea and Papeete), disposable diapers, drinking cups and formula are available. Pre-prepared baby food is also carried on board. Due to limited aircraft space, only a small amount of these products are loaded for emergency use. Infant meals are available on our long-haul flights including services to and from Perth, Noumea and Papeete and must be requested through our contact centre or a Travel Agent at the time of booking. Where possible, the cabin crew serve children’s meals before serving adults, so you can fed your child before relaxing and enjoying your own meal.
Please Note: all food taken on board must be either eaten or destroyed prior to landing in another country due to quarantine regulations. Air New Zealand can also cater for children with special dietary needs on long-haul flights including flights to and from Perth, Noumea and Papeete.
- Movies on demand
- Back of seat entertainment
- Interactive games
- Junior packs available